Thursday, March 7, 2013

in and through his eyes

I seem to always be fascinated by your eyes, Lord
Not by the color or shape or size--
  Although I do see them as brown and almond and set deep in a rugged dark face--
But by what they see.

When I look in your eyes,
I see compassion and peace
Hope for the hopeless
and rest for the weary.

But at the same time,
I see the snap of fire that is reserved for those
Who trouble and persecute Your people.
Both your people Israel and your people that have been grafted on through adoption.

People like me.

When I read the Gospels and look through your eyes,
Oh Lord!
The compassion that you felt for the poor
The downtrodden
Those who have come to you for healing
Or salvation.

I see grief--tears for Lazarus your brother,
John your cousin
And the woman caught in adultery.

I see fire for the religious leaders who have dared to distort Your truth
To take away the role of Love
And replace it with a lifetime of rules--
  Rules that nobody can ever follow--
All for the sake of religion.

How do you see us today, Lord?

I myself dared to ask you to let me see myself through your eyes.
I was afraid--trembling--
For I knew the wrong that I had done.
I knew how ugly the world saw me to be
And I was horrified at how you must see me.

But I had to know.
Because I had to know if what I believed about you was true,
Or if I was believing a lie.

And so, fearfully, I asked you to show me myself
  As You saw me.

And I saw

A woman of beauty,
Dressed in white,
Prepared as a bride for her Husband.

And then I saw the husband's view--
The love, the adoration
Adoration?
That he felt when he looked upon me

And I saw the truth

This is why You died
This is why You came to Earth as a baby

Because you adore us
Love us
Enough to give up your life
To save us.

And during these 40 days of Lent
May I learn
  Somehow
To see my brothers and sisters
With your eyes.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!