Wednesday, March 27, 2013

coming back to life

I woke up this morning to a realization. The weight that is always on my chest was gone!  I have lived with this pain for more years than I can remember.  It is a normal accompaniment to a life lived in pain and suffering, and I live with it--most days not even consciously remembering that it's there.  But this morning, for a blessed change, it was gone!  Why?  Easy.  I went to a retreat and came away changed.

I am thankful that I'm open to change.  I know many people who aren't.  They are stuck in bitterness.  They avoid change.  They are certain that the world is out to get them.  Anything that challenges views that they learned at their mother's knee is viewed as suspect.  Their Jesus, their world view, their moral compass are all set in stone.  I used to be like them.

That all changed after my husband died.  My world collapsed, and I collapsed with it.  After a time, I reached out for help.  That's the first step.  The person who came alongside invited me to a Bible study. That was the second step.  The Bible study taught me that what I had always believed was wrong.  That was the gigantic leap.

When you take a gigantic leap, you have two choices.  You fly or you fall.  You can fly if the leap leads to truth. You fall when the leap leads you to error.  It's up to you to determine that what you've been taught is true and accurate.  No proof texts--check out what you've been told by reading in context and making sure it holds up in the Light.  It did.

Having taken one leap, I took another.  And another.  I began to feel less fettered.  My God began to change.  Better said, my personal understanding of him began to change.  He went from taskmaster to Father.  I was led into freedom.

Today, I take nothing for granted.  I learn new things every day.  Some do not stand in the light of Truth, but most do.  Each step I take brings me another step closer to freedom.  And the weight lifts.

If you want to learn more, email me.  meggiev7777@gmail.com.  Or include your email in the comments below.



2 comments:

  1. You're talking about the good news of grace!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but also about being open to change, to other opinions, and to the possibility that everything that you thought was right was wrong. That's enormous.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!