Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Frank the Pug

I used to be a cat person.  Their aloof, anti-social behavior suited me fine.  I enjoyed seeing the kittenish boisterousness change slowly to regal majesty. Cats were enough for me.

And then I met Frank.

Frank is not my Pug.  He was a Christmas gift for my son, but he sleeps on my bed, sleeps in my lap (among numerous other places) and pretty much considers himself my dog.  He is a beautiful fawn color, with the black face and ears that are common among Pugs.

Pugs are interesting dogs.  They don't bark as a rule.  If Frank senses danger, he might vocalize a little, but he isn't yappy.  I appreciate that about him.  Frank whines.  I don't appreciate that so much, but again, it's better than barking.  If he wants food, he whines.  If he wants in my bed, he whines.  If he feels ignored, he whines.  But quietly--not intrusively (unless he feels that you're not paying adequate attention).

Pugs are evenly divided--some are water bugs.  They love the water and splash happily in any puddle they find.  Others avoid water.  Frank is the latter.  If we are starting our walk and there is a sprinkler going that is wetting the sidewalk, we have to leave another way or go later.  He has been known to skirt around puddles,  stop and stare at wet spots on the ground before walking in them, and taking our walk to double time if it is sprinkling.  Don't even think of walking him in the rain.  It is not going to happen.

My friend and I picked Frank out of a litter when he was a pup.  There were two beautiful black pups in the front room.  I was looking at one, a girl, and had almost decided that was the one for my son.  Then Frank (then known as Puppy 3) walked into the room, head down, tail down.  He took one look at us, and his tail rolled into a happy bun on his back.  That was it.  He was mine.

Frank is very expressive.  I love talking to him, because he always responds.  He cocks his head, as if to better understand your words.  He understands many words, among them Walk, Park, Frank, Good Dog, What did you do?, and Dog Park.  When he hears those words, he reacts accordingly.  He enjoys a good rub, and he smiles when you pet him.  Frank prefers people to pets, and he will come up to any stranger for a back and belly rub.  His eyes express his gratitude.

I think the most amusing thing that Frank does is a Puggy figure 8.  If he gets sufficiently excited (and it's easy to get him that way--just play with his toys and then throw one toward him), he will start to run.  Head down, tail up, feet swishing and sliding on the floor, he makes shapes as he runs.  His preferred shape used to be a figure 8, but with the new apartment, he contents himself with circles and triangles.  It is truly a joy to behold!

I'm no longer a cat person.  I am a Pug person.  And proud to be one.  Frank's muzzle is now grey, but that's the way it is with Pugs.  I hope he lives a long and happy life.  He brings joy and pleasure to my day.  Yes, he has quirks and faults (among them the unfortunate tendency to pass gas as he climbs into my lap), but they're forgivable.  After all, I have quirks and faults, too, and I know he forgives me.  Frank is truly a furry friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!