Sunday, February 3, 2013

1 cor 13


13 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains,but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b]but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Nothing.  What a big word.  It seems like something at the time.  Some may listen, applaud, even honor you, but in the end…ashes. Nothing.  All because you did it without love.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 
Love never fails.


Be careful.  You may think that you are full of Christian love, but is it patient and kind?  Is it envious?  Does it boast or show pride?  Here's a good one.  Does it dishonor others?  Is it trying to bring things around to your way of thinking?  Does it fall easily into anger? Is it busy keeping records?  Does it rejoice in the truth, even if that truth is inconvenient?  Does it protect? Trust? Hope? Persevere?

I'm sorry, but I am drawn to the line, it always protects.  What kind of love is being shown today in the name of Christianity?  Love that protects or self-righteousness that throws others under the bus and into the mouths of wolves?

8 (cont) But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 

We know so little when compared to what we will know.  We may see a good deal, but it is so little compared to what is to come.  Love.  We might prophesy, we might attain all wisdom, but it all will end.  Only love remains.

11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face.Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

To see without limitations.  To understand without the barriers that are common to man today.  To be able to wipe our eyes, open them wide, and see God's truth displayed clearly, in plain view. I will one day know him as well as he knows me.  And he is love.  To know him better even now, seek earnestly for the ability to grow in love.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Ever believed beyond belief?  Ever hoped beyond hope?  Ever woke up one morning and thought--for that one precious second--that the lost loved one was back again?  It will one day happen.  And love will rule it all.  Come quickly Lord Jesus.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!