Saturday, January 19, 2013

on isolation and its cure

I am alone.
Totally alone.
There are others around, 
But I am totally alone.

As are they.

I see a woman crying,
And I don't barge in.
I don't know her, 
So who am I to intrude on her pain.

I see a couple laughing,
And I don't intrude.
Who knows but that they're lovers,
And they're laughing over something precious to them.

And so I continue alone.

Until one day I hear a voice at church,
"I wish I knew someone who could play cards.
I need a fourth for bridge next week."
And I know how to play.

So I take my courage in my hands,
Come forward,
And confess that I overheard
And that I play.

The relief on her face--
This stranger--
Is palpable to see.

I am the solution to her problem
and she is the answer to mine.

I go to her house the next week,
Women together playing cards,
And I meet another woman.
And she loves to read mysteries.

As do I
As does my friend
And now we are three.

Weeks go by, and we meet together
To play bridge,
To read mysteries and discuss them together, 
And to enjoy each other's company.

As we come together,
The silence grows every week less,
And every week
I am more willing to open myself to others,

As they are to me.

We live alone together,
Strangers become friends,
And our lives intersect from time to time,
Bringing joy and peace.

It is not good for man to live alone--
But sometimes we must.

Thank God for friends,
Who bring a welcome light
To the dark shadows of our solitude,
Making it not only livable,
But profitable.

We live in isolation,
But we get together 
From time to time
And revel in our unity.

And one day
I see a woman crying
And I know her as my bridge-playing partner,
My mystery-loving friend.

I come to her,
Take her hand,
And say nothing.

We know each other
And we understand silence.

I know that if she needs to talk,
She knows I'm there.

Until then, we sit together
In silence

Alone

Together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!