Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The day to day

I do pretty much the same thing every day.  I get up at 5:30, give the dog his medicine, make coffee (this is essential on weekdays), take my medicine, go on the computer, check email, make breakfast, and then check Facebook, coffee and bagel in hand.  After that, school. Normally I would squeeze in a walk with the dog, but he refuses to go out in the cold morning, so I've given up and put out pads until February or so.  At school, I spend the majority of my day alone--just me and 130 students:  teens with the requisite temper and angst and drama and behavior issues.  After that, home again.  I either pick something up or make something at home, and then spend my evenings either watching TV (current obsession:  The Walking Dead.  Thanks, Jeremy!) or working on the computer.  Weekend is more of the same.

So why am I so content?  How is it that this weekly monotony doesn't make me crazy?

Very simple.  I don't live in the day-to-day.  I don't live in the routine.  I live inside my head, and inside my head is a beautiful place.  God dwells within me, and he gives me lovely thoughts, beautiful songs, and interesting things to ponder.  I have little need of anything outside my world, since God beautifully inhabits my universe.

I'm not saying that your world with all its noise and gaiety and people and busy-ness isn't perfect.  I'm sure it is--for you.  However, it isn't a good fit for me.  In fact,  it draws so much out of me that it takes days to bring me back to full energy.  I love that you love your world, but I'm satisfied with my own.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!