Saturday, December 14, 2013

Little range big range


They call me the Tucson Mountains.  No big deal, not much of a much.  I am a "minor" range.  Well, that's pleasant.  I'm not nearly as spectacular as my neighbors, the Santa Catalinas.  They are so grand, so beautiful, so magestic...well, let me just show you!
They tower over the city of Tucson--that's right, the city that I'm named after.  I used to be jealous of them, I have to admit.  They make me seem small.  In fact, when people talk about the four mountain ranges that close Tucson in like a picture frame, the others are called by their names.  Me--I'm the tooth mountains.  Why?  Thanks, you're really very kind.  Surely, though, it must be obvious.  I look like sharks' teeth, don't I?  

So anyway, I used to be jealous of the mighty Santa Catalinas, like I said.  But one day, I realized something.  I might be tiny, yes, but I have a big "A" on me.  They can't say that.  I also am home to the Saguaro National Park and the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum.  They didn't pick the Santa Catalinas.  Nope, they picked me.  But the thing that makes me happiest is this:  while it's true that I'm dwarfed by the Santa Catalinas, they are not movie stars.  Who is?  You guessed it!  Me!


That's right, friends!  I am the home to Old Tucson, a movie set that has filmed everything from John Wayne movies (yes, I knew him personally) to Three Amigos to Little House on the Prairie.  So even though I am a little range, I am just as important as my big sister to the north.  It just goes to show you--bigger isn't always better.  Small guys like us can be important, too!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!