Sunday, September 1, 2013

One more day

He wakes up, turns over and looks at me.
I pretend to still be sleeping,
Although the child within me is fully awake.

I feel the warmth of his gaze,
and I know that he is still tormented,
Oh Joseph.

I didn't start this,
You know that.
This is not the life I would have chosen.

Here we are,
On the road to Bethlehem,
Two travelers--nearly three.

One more day, my husband,
And we will be there.
I pray our child will wait.

Joseph, please know
I didn't ask for this.
But having been given the opportunity--

How could I decline it?

It is written, Joseph, remember?
"A virgin shall conceive and bear a son,
And shall call his name Emmanuel

God with us."

I want you to understand that I'm thankful.
I know that you are a just and good man,
And I realize that you could have put me away

Or worse.

But you chose to bear this burden with me,
And I respect and admire you for that.
But it's so hard.

Joseph, I barely know you.
You are my husband,
But you are not the father of my child.

Can you accept him as your Son?
Will you love him as a father should?
Will you teach him what a man must know?

And Joseph, can you accept me?
Will you see me as your wife,
Though not in the way you might have wished?

Oh well.
I must open my eyes and start the day.
I put on a smile and meet your eyes.

"Good morning Husband.
Yes, it's almost over.
One more day to Bethlehem."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!