Sunday, August 25, 2013

Joseph (3)

Please--two questions--
Is this better, and is it too short?

Joseph’s Lament

He’s not my son.

I know that he came from God.
I know that he is the Chosen One.
I know that Mary, great with child,
Is still a virgin.

But he’s not my son.

We walk from town to town on our way to Bethlehem--
Two travelers among many.
Old man with his young bride.
They look at Mary and smile,
And they look at me and grin.

The old man wasted no time!
That’s what they’re all thinking—
And I force myself to return their looks
With a smile and nod myself

All the while thinking
But he’s not my son.

Yes, an angel came to me in a dream.
He told me that it was safe to take Mary to wife.
He reassured me that the Holy Spirit had conceived the child she carries.
And I did believe him.

This life that looms before me
Is not the life I had envisioned.
She sleeps beside me
And as she cuddles against me for warmth,

Her belly bumps against my back.
And he kicks.
Oh God, how can I raise him?
How can I love him?

When he is
not
my
son?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!